I’ve been on the hunt for a simple salad that could be served cold or hot, but that was also filled with protein and veggies. Inspired by the Trader Joe’s Superfood Pilaf that can be found in the frozen section, I put my own spin on the combo to create what I was craving. This is a wonderful dish to pack for lunch, especially when you don’t have a microwave handy to heat up your food!
- 1/2 cup quinoa (dry)
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame (I also get this at Trader Joe’s!)
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- A dash of pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa according to directions. For me, this consisted of boiling the quinoa on the stove-top for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, dice up your sweet potato into quarter-sized pieces. Bake sweet potato pieces for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- When quinoa has finished cooking and has soaked up all of the water or broth, add in edamame, kale and spices. Add in sweet potato pieces once done baking.